What if I disagree with the value the assessor estimated for my property?

Your county assessor maintains a file of information on your property. If you have questions about your assessment, you should contact your county assessor to review the accuracy of the records. You may appeal the valuation to the Board of Equalization for the county in which the property is located. This board consists of the county commissioners. Most appeals must be filed with your county clerk by the fourth Monday in June. Properties assessed at other times of the year have different appeal dates.

Property values maintained by our county assessor are public records. You may also ask to review the value of other properties in that county.

Be prepared to document your reasons for requesting a change in your property’s assessed value. You must prove that the assessor’s value is not the current market value of  the property.

Show All Answers

1. How is property assessed?
2. How often are property values adjusted?
3. How can my property be assessed on improvements when I haven’t made any?
4. What makes property real or personal?
5. How do I know what value the assessor has estimated for my property?
6. What if I disagree with the value the assessor estimated for my property?
7. How is my property tax determined?
8. When will I get my property tax bill?
9. How can my taxes go up if my property’s taxable value does not increase?
10. Are there limits on property tax increases?
11. Why do I pay higher taxes than my neighbor?
12. Is any tax relief available to homeowners?
13. What is an occupancy fee?